In the auspicious month of Shravan, devotees immerse themselves in the Sawan Somwar fasts, seeking the benevolence of Lord Shiva for good health, prosperity, and the fulfilment of their desires. Unmarried girls opt for these fasts to get a suitable life partner, while married women pray for blissful harmony in their marital lives. This year, Shravan has extended to two months owing to Mal Maas. Consequently, the month of Sawan will commence on July 4 and conclude on August 31. It is a 59-day period. Rather than the usual four Mondays, there will be eight Sawan Somvaar, with the first fast observed on July 10 and the final Monday on August 28, as July 4 falls on a Tuesday.
When participating in the Sawan Somwar fasts, it is essential to prioritise hydration and opt for nutritious vrat-friendly meals or monsoon foods over indulging in deep-fried and sugary treats. Additionally, taking ample rest and incorporating probiotics into your diet can contribute to maintaining a healthy gut. During this observance, nourishing your body with simple food choices will help you take good care of your health.
In this blog, we have talked about
9 Steps to the Perfect Meal Plan and Tips to Follow During Fasting
1. Hydrate Self for a Healthy Day: Begin your day with a refreshing start and prevent annoying headaches by hydrating your body. Ensuring you stay well-hydrated can make a world of difference. Embrace a variety of hydrating beverages like rejuvenating coconut water, zesty lemon water, invigorating homemade iced tea, or cooling buttermilk. These delightful drinks not only quench your thirst but also replenish essential electrolytes, leaving you feeling revitalised and ready to tackle whatever the day brings. Sip on these hydrating elixirs and enjoy the benefits they bring to your overall well-being.
- Fruits are Energy Providers: Elevate your energy levels during fasting with a natural and revitalising fruit. When seeking a quick and healthy energy boost, turn to the mighty banana. This fruit is bursting with natural sugars and potassium and is a tropical delight. Therefore it offers an instant surge of vitality. With its convenient packaging and delightful taste, a banana is a perfect on-the-go snack to keep you powered up throughout your fasting journey. So, when you need a refreshing energy kick, reach for this wholesome fruit and experience its ability to invigorate. The other immunity-boosting foods and fruits to eat during fasting are apples, grapes, pears, dates, plums, oranges, and watermelon.
- Nuts the Energy Booster: Indulge in the world of nuts, where energy and essential nutrients abound. Almonds, pistachios, walnuts, and figs are fantastic additions to your fasting diet. Nuts are a source of healthy fats, proteins, and dietary fibre. These nuts satisfy your cravings but also provide a sustained boost of energy. Their delightful crunch and natural goodness keep you satiated and energised throughout the day. So, embrace the power of these nutritious nuts and savour the benefits they bring to your fasting journey, helping you stay nourished and revitalised.
- Curd and Fruits are the best Combos for Lunch: Enhance your lunchtime experience by incorporating curd alongside a refreshing bowl of fruits. Achieve a satisfying meal that keeps your stomach content and helps maintain internal body functionalities. With its abundance of probiotics, curd offers numerous health benefits when paired with fruits. This delightful combination provides essential nutrients, promotes efficient digestion, and contributes to a refreshing and cool sensation throughout your body. Elevate your lunchtime routine with this nourishing duo and relish the yummy combo.
- Include Mild Spices: For a comfortable fasting experience free from heartburn and discomfort, one should avoid spicy or hot ingredients like chillies and garlic. Instead, embrace milder spices for flavours and gentle seasonings to safeguard against potential gastric issues that can arise during fasting.
During fasting, you should select less intense spices like turmeric, ajwain, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, etc. It will help you enjoy fast with ease allowing your body to focus on spiritual nourishment rather than digestive troubles. Prioritise your well-being and savour the tranquillity of your fasting journey by making mindful choices in your culinary preparations. Surya Masale Spices are known for quality and no adulteration. You can buy rainy-season spices online for seasoning from Surya Masale.
- Avoid Heavy Foods: When breaking a fast after a prolonged period of abstinence, proceed with care. Steer clear of heavy, indulgent meals that can trigger uncomfortable gastric problems. Instead, choose a diet with lighter food options that promote easier digestion. By embracing a balanced and measured approach to breaking your fast, you can ensure a smoother transition for your digestive system. Prioritise your well-being by nourishing your body with gentle and easily digestible foods. Fasting of Shravan often coincides with the monsoon. Therefore, follow the monsoon wellness tips and look after the rainy season's health.
- Balance Electrolytes: Proper hydration and electrolyte balance are crucial during fasting. In combating dehydration, it is necessary to replenish your body with water that contains added electrolytes. Additionally, incorporating electrolyte-rich foods like bananas, pistachios, coconut water, and salty snacks into your diet before and after fasting can provide further support. By ensuring adequate hydration and replenishing essential electrolytes, you can maintain a healthier fasting experience. Therefore, during fasting, it is advised by a dietician to keep the body hydrated and opt for healthy eating in the monsoon.
- Eradicate Stress: During fasting, it's crucial to minimise stress and cortisol levels. To optimise your fasting experience, you should relax and eradicate stressful and triggering situations that may pose challenges. Take rest to create a calm environment for your body. Focus on rejuvenation to enhance the benefits of fasting and avoid being stressed. Remember to take care of your health physically and mentally for a more successful fasting journey. A rainy-season diet will also help you overcome any stress caused by fasting.
- Eat Low GI Foods: When breaking your fast, the choice of food is crucial. Opt for a light meal with a low glycemic index (GI) to avoid spiking blood sugar levels. During fasting, your body becomes sensitive to insulin and sugar levels, making it susceptible to sudden spikes that can impact the nervous and endocrine systems. By selecting low-GI foods, you can prevent such shocks and promote a smoother transition after fasting. Prioritise balanced nutrition to support your body's needs during this critical phase. You can easily opt for balanced nutrition during monsoon or fasting by selecting the right combination of fruits and vegetables.
Follow these nine steps for an enriched fasting experience.
To Reiterate: We recommend having mild spices like thymol Seeds/ajwain, turmeric / haldi powder, fennel seeds, and cumin seeds. The addition of mild spices during fasting will help in digestion, cooling off body temperatures, eradicating stomach gas, preventing stomach bloating, and providing a boost to immunity.
If you are planning to buy the best spices online, at exciting prices, Surya Masale is your one-stop shop. A household name in South India, we have established a reputation of being the manufacturer and marketer of superior quality spices. You can buy original spices at discounted prices, avail special offers, and enjoy easy delivery.